More pies … vegan mushroom and broccoli with cashew cream
So the other day I tried round two of vegan pie making 101. This time I attempted a mushroom, broccoli and cashew cream pie.
Cashew cream has become my go-to favourite creamy sauce in recent months. I love it so much I can devour it by the spoonful straight from the blender. It is amazing in its most basic form, and can easily be adapted in many creative ways for different flavour sensations. I used a combination of button mushrooms and some more exotic varieties to intensify the flavour. I think the recipe would work well with most combinations of mushrooms.
According to my used-to-be-omnivore husband my mushroom pie tasted very like a chicken pie and could easily trick a vegan sceptic. I can’t vouch for this though as I’ve never actually had one myself.
Quick tip – be careful not to overfill the pie cases or they might explode when cooking, as one of mine did (see very honest photograph of messy looking pie). Lesson learnt!
Ingredients for approx. 7 pies:
- 7 puff pastry sheets
- 1 medium head broccoli
- 500g button mushrooms
- 100g shitake mushrooms
- 100g shimanji mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- cashew cream:
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1.25 cups water
- juice from small lemon
- Defrost pastry sheets.
- Chop the onion and broccoli into small pieces and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Saute the onion and garlic in a little oil for a few minutes.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms and saute until softened.
- Meanwhile make the cashew cream in a high speed blender by blending all ingredients to a thick paste.
- Add the nutritional yeast, thyme and cashew cream to the vegetable mixture and stir until thickened. Season with a little more salt and pepper if desired.
- Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Whilst the mixture is cooling heat the pie maker and cut the pie tops and bottoms using the cutter provided. Use any leftover pastry for decorative letters and shapes.
- When the pie maker is hot place the bottoms gently in the machine and add a generous ½ cup of mixture to each pie. Place the tops and any decorations on to the pies.
- Cook for 15 minutes and remove with a wooden spatula.